Part 1: Tom Buiocchi introduces Drobo to the Storage Field Day delegates
Drobo CEO, Tom Buiocchi introduces the company (formerly known as Data Robotics) and outlines the company’s agenda for Storage Field Day 1. He announces a major 1 Petabyte customer win while placing the company firmly in the SMB market segment.
Part 2: Drobo Chalk Talk – The Technology Behind BeyondRAID
Eric Pounds (Director, Product Management) and Rod Harrison (Chief Architect) of Drobo details the technology behind BeyondRAID, their core data management technology. They hit on the following key points during this discussion:
- How Drobo presents a single pool of storage
- How BeoyndRAID creates thousands of “zones” of storage on disk drives
- How these zones are built and re-built
- Drobo’s “data-aware” thin provisioning technology
Part 3: How Drobo BeyondRAID Handles SSDs
Continuing their discussion of BeyondRAID technology, Erik Pounds (Director, Product Management) and Rod Harrison (Chief Architect) of Drobo discusses the following key points:
- Logical storage tiering with hard disk drives and SSDs
- How Drobo handles SSDs internally
- The use of multiple physical storage tiers inside BeyondRAID
- How the Drobo system automatically tunes itself
Part 4: A Demonstration of Drobo Technology with Mario Blandini
Drobo Chief Evangelist, Mario Blandini, demonstrates SSD tiering with a Drobo B1200i. The intent of this demonstration was to show how the array performance improves once an SSD is added for BeyondRAID to use. Mario also passes around an Icy Dock (which Drobo uses to mount 2.5″ SSDs) and an OCZ Talos SSD.
Mario also invites Rick Vanover of Veeam to talk about how that company integrates with Drobo devices for small-business data protection.
Find Drobo online: